Thursday, December 30, 2010

No KIDding. It's Christmas.

Oh my... my last post was the first part of October. I'm fired. Can you fire yourself? As if...

Fall decor up and put away. check.
Thanksgiving. check.

Oh yeah! Big surprise this year for Thanksgiving:) Brian showed up out of the blue at the office. He wasn't supposed to come home until Christmas. Much crying. Many hugs. check.

24th anniversary. check. note to self: getting married is December is a very bad idea. don't do it... too late. grrr.

And then the big one. drum roll please... CHRISTMAS!!

Yeah, okay. whatever. It seems that all of my years of successes in this department are now overshadowed by my stubborn denial of the adult Christmas years. Christmas with kids is tons of fun with wrapping paper messes and early morning faces. Christmas with no kids is... less exciting. Don't get me wrong; Brian is home, which is great! We all went to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader and we have eaten all of my best stuff. Family gatherings have been enjoyed, Sunday school parties have been attended, choir and church stuffs, all drawing our attention to the real reason for the season. BUT... there is just something missing.

I am being dragged - kicking and screaming- into this new season of my life. Adult(ish) children make everything different. This year's gifts were not wrappable (not a word, I know). Bethany wanted a trip with the college kids to music fest and Brian's gift was a special hand me down from his dad - which we gave him at Thanksgiving because it was too large to take home on the plane at Christmas. I did try to put together stocking stuffers for them. Oy. Standing in Target, I realized that I had NO IDEA what my son has or needs or wants any more. My new year's resolution is to start a Christmas club this year (um... been promising myself that for YEARS) and that I will really try to drag my head out of the proverbial sand and come up with something I can feel good about giving to two young adults.

Now if I can just get someone to help me take down these stupid Christmas decorations.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I sort of felt the same way this year with teenagers. Just sort of seems like the special spark isn't as bright as it use to be. Sob!