Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

... will forever be the day that the God of the universe stepped into the life of my family and changed it's course forever. Tragedy was averted and I am eternally grateful. I wonder how often this happens when I am not even aware.

After a couple of hours of fun in the sun and the water, all of the kids came out for a little snack/supper time. So many little ones... so many adults... too much visiting and not enough paying attention. My fearless little great-niece slipped away from her juice box and over to the deep end. At just the right moment a dear friend "happened" to turn her head in just enough time to see her baby fingertips disappear over the edge. It makes my heart stop even now to remember her tiny self being pulled from the water.

I have loved my pool up until now. I am not sure anymore. It has been almost 24 hours and I am still crying off and on at the memory. To all of my friends this summer... be diligent. We often act like the unthinkable could never happen to us. It can.

Thank you God for grace this day. Thank you Tina for being more aware than all of the rest of us combined. Thank you Isabella, for your sweet marshmallow kisses when you left for home - safe and sound.

2 comments:

rthling said...

The vision of her tiny hands frantically waving in the water is etched on my brain.
And Tina is my hero. I've never seen someone move so quickly. She had Isabella out of the water before my brain connected with what I was seeing.
Thank you God, indeed.

My Goodness said...

I will never forget...

Praise God that she's ok...