Saturday, July 11, 2009

Blue Cross Blue Big-Fat-Hole-In-The Shield

Hey ya'll:) Internet is back up and running... yippee and don't ask:)



In the days while I have been running silent, we have been having some more trips to the doctor over here. Not me, for once - but I'm still paying the copays. Brian has an auto immune disease called ankylosing spondylitis, which I only mention because someone else may be suffering from this degenerative disease and be in need of support. In any case, his has been in remission for a couple of years in that it really hasn't appeared to be advancing until this past week. Now his pain is extensive and the nerve running down his left leg is so agitated that it is causing the muscle to spasm, etc. blah blah blah. This is a difficult time for him and we would appreciate your prayers, but I won't embarrass him by boring you with the details.



After a harrowing night, we tried to make a visit to his primary care doctor only to discover that our particular network with Blue Cross is no longer welcome at his office. I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that it isn't the doctor's fault... His ortho doc was out of town for the holiday and his reumatologist has retired. yay. We were so fortunate to find a replacement ortho doc who could see him quickly. Medrol dose pack and two visits later and we are checking into the hospital radiology department for a new MRI.



Did I mention that we have a deductible for that? Those BCBS people are killing me with their "deductibles". Did you know that an MRI is $1500...? Did you know that each member of our family has a $1500 deductible? When I mentioned to the lady checking us in at the hospital that I had recently had surgery on my hand and that it was $1500... the same price as a 30 minute nap in a giant camera, she didn't seem too impressed.

Interestingly enough, as the bills roll in for Brian's broken collar bone and treatment in January, my hand injury and subsequent surgery, and now this I am finding that BCBS is not paying so much as they are "adjusting" the bills.

alrighty then.

No comments: