Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cain would be so proud...

This morning I was the unwitting participant in the age-old battle of sibling rivalry.

Being that my children are nearly four years apart we have had many years of the typical pickmepickme battles for attention. Brian, as the first born, usually comes out with the upper hand but lately Bethany has made some notable strides. Take the front seat, for instance. Unlike the children of today who must remain in a car seat until their 21st birthday, my children began fighting for the front seat since the younger one turned about ten. That was about the time that I instituted the "happy day" rule. Brian's birthday is on the 24th of August (even days) and Bethany's birthday is on the 25th of April (odd days); so I decided that all happy things should occur with the odd/even split. If you have more than two children then you are toast. Sorry about that...

All happy things included, but were not limited to "shotgun", tv remote control, first pick, first turn, and basically any other thing that lent itself to bickering. This was a glorious rule that kept peace for many years. Most things could be settled in this matter.

Couldn't decide on a movie... "whose happy day is it?"
Couldn't pick a restaurant... "whose happy day is it?"
Couldn't clean the playroom in peace... "whose happy day is it?"
Ah, I yearn for the days when it was that easy.

When Brian began driving, the quest for "shotgun" became a complicated issue. He made up all kind of rules about it like, you have to 'call' it; then you have be within sight of the car to 'call' it; then you have to be touching the car to 'call' it. Of course, all of these rules were designed to outwit the younger sister but as long as she wasn't screaming about it, I just let them work it out for themselves. After all, that's what we all REALLY want as parents, right. We don't really care about justice... we just want a little PEACE AND QUIET.

This morning Bethany politely asked if she could drive when I made a little trip into town to drop Brian off to work and her to a friend's. It was an innocent enough request. Little did I know that Brian had already "called" shotgun using all of the aforementioned criteria so when I said yes to her request it effectively nullified his call for shotgun.

WOW, nicely played.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

She shoots - she scores!

I've had the boys ride on the way and switch on the way back. But I am toast as number three is about to hit double digits and the battle is on. *Sigh*

rthling said...

That would be
Check

MATE!

My Goodness said...

Oooo...I REALLY like the happy day thing...and guess what?!? It will work perfectly b/c we have one born on the 12th Even and the other on the 27th Odd!! Yahoo!!

Thank you SO much!! I'm starting right away....if I can remember!! :)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
This will even work for me and hubby!! YAY!!! I'm having happy days, nah nah nah nah nah nah!!!

This rocks!