Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Kid retreat = mom needs a vacation

Much complaining about my lack of communication; long, stupid story. I actually tried to blog about it last week, but I was boring MYSELF to tears. moving on...

This past weekend I had about 20 tenth grade girls and their chaperons over for the weekend. Kids had big youth activity at the church house and we opened our home to be the sleep over station. Whew! talk about tired. While discussing sleeping arrangements and snack options, Bethany issued the supreme challenge. She said something to the tune of, "you'll never beat Ms. Kathy... she had pizza rolls and egg rolls and blah blah blah." Have no idea what else the Kathy person was serving that impressed these kids so much because at that point my mind was glazed over with the "you'll never beat Ms. Kathy". She says that she did it on purpose. whatever.

Now I don't generally consider myself overly competitive. Okay, maybe a little; but you just can't say a thing like that and not expect a reaction. End result was WAY too much money, but hey, I kicked some serious booty (and I HATE that word). Kids came home on Friday night at about 10:30 to the most amazing platter of layer after layer of nachos and rotel. And we all know that rotel is a slam dunk. Fridge was packed with cokes (southern term for all things carbonated), bottled water, and juice. Next afternoon was snow cones and smoothies for afternoon refreshment. In all fairness, flavored syrup and shaved ice is really no big deal, but when you put them together in a little cup... ambrosia. That night it was meat and cheese trays, plus a plethora of chex mix, goldfish, cookies, etc. Take THAT, Ms. Kathy:)

Add to that a perfectly clean house with candles burning and the whole bit... mom was EXHAUSTED. But, they all say that I rock, which is a good thing... I think.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I bow and pay homage to your awesomeness. In the face slamdunk awesome!

She did that on purpose didn't she? Well you showed them. Go you!

My Goodness said...

You DO rock!! I'm sure it was wonderful and they really appreciated every bite...do kids appreciate things? Hmmm...

Anywho, you were a blessing to them for opening your home...and wearing yourself out...