Saturday, October 18, 2008

Moving Days

So, it's been a busy couple of weeks. I have been "moving". No; not to an new house. Just stuff around here. I have a problem. I tell myself that I just need to move stuff ONE more time and then I'll quit. I tell myself (and others) that I can quit any time I want to... whatever.

My house in Cordova had five bedrooms and three bathrooms... talk about moving. I think that Bethany actually lived in three of those bedrooms in the six years that we lived there. You think that I am kidding; my sister will testify that I am not. Oh, and she didn't just live in them. They were EACH appropriately painted and decorated for her ages at the time. First room upstairs was not so fancy. I mean that the house was brand spanking new, so there just wasn't much that needed to be done. When I moved her downstairs I painted the room PINK (we are talking pepto bismol here); put in a new set of white bunk beds; painted her dressers white with little do dads to match; and hung a hammock chair from the ceiling (courtesy of her cool aunt Diane). Did all this while she was gone to camp one year. Bethany isn't one to show a whole lot of emotion at gifts (understatement of the year). When she came home we, of course, had the video camera rolling and everything. She walks in and says, "cool, my beds came in". Did I mention that the walls were nauseatingly pink? Did she notice?? no; time to put away the camera. Have you ever seen Trading Spaces? Her reaction was the polar opposite of EVERY single person ever in the history of the show! Not ONE single OMG. I would like to apologize in advance to her future husband; and wish him luck:) I would love to be a fly on the wall when he proposes. I tell you now; there will be NO tears or exclamations of joy... probably something like, "cool, my ring came in."

She also lived in the room over the garage for a time and then back to the original room she was in when we first moved into that house. Sounds crazy now; but it made sense when we were doing it.

Fast forward to this ole house... When we moved in here, this was my mother's house. It has taken me several months to acclimate myself and make it my own. Nothing is as it was. In fact this past couple of weeks I have flipped pretty much every room into reverse of it original intention, which is why I needed my brother to come and install some new cable outlets and move my computer modem. But, I am done for now. Which, of course means that I am done with everything that I can do for free. I have GREAT ideas that cost alot of money, but whatever.

My sister, whose couch has not moved ONE inch since I told her where to put it does not understand my compulsion. I say it's kinda like someone who shops to make themselves feel good. Everyone likes the feeling of something new. Some of us are just too cheap to go to the mall.

I have to say, though that what I have learned from this move is that hard wood floors are not our friends. I consider myself to be a pretty thorough keeper of my home. I mean, it's not as perfect as I would like and I have had to concede some things in order to have the help that I need. (like not being able to find a can opener, or just about any thing else:) But... I pulled out that dresser that had been up against the wall in my bedroom and found the scariest dust "bunny" that I have EVER seen. I mean, I don't think that you can call that a bunny. Sounds way too harmless. Honestly, I thought for a moment that we had mistakenly added another yorkie to the bunch. I think that we should name him Harry. Diane said that I shoulda taken a picture of him, but the horror that I had missed that monstrosity of hair and dirt and dust was too great.

Hard wood floors... who knew?

3 comments:

rthling said...

Hey, guess what! Yesterday, in order to open up the living room to more floor space so I could sort and pack, I moved the couch back against the closet wall.
Surprise!

Joanna said...

I'm thinking this is a sickness and you need some meds.

And your mother's house??? Oh honey that was a mouthful. And what does mom think of how you decorated? Mine likes to tell me it sort of looks okay.

My Goodness said...

Oh, I'm learning about the dust 'bunnies' that come with the hardwood floors. And I only THOUGHT I had been telling the kids we weren't getting pets!