Monday, September 8, 2008

Dog days...

Okay, I agree that maybe I'm just a little nuts at having 3 dogs. I didn't really mean to. It just sort of happened. But, I have to say that it has been a little insane around here with a new puppy. She cracks me up.

Truly, as you know, loves a good game of ball... any kind of ball. Inside, we mostly toss a tennis ball. Nobody likes it when I play with her, cause I'm a lousy throw, but she doesn't care as long as she gets to enjoy the thrill of that spectacular fluorescent orb shooting down the hall to who knows where. And she NEVER falls for the "fake" throw. She just stands there like that was the stupidest thing she has ever seen. Generally, she likes to stand suspended until after the ball has disappeared from sight before she flies around the corner to hunt. If it ends up under or behind something, all the better because she LOVES to play her version of hide and seek. God forbid that it should land in some sort of inaccessible area, because after much whining and running back and forth in a valiant "lassie"sort of move you WILL be getting up to get it for her.

Now we have Schatzi, or "the baby" as she is affectionately referred to. She has watched this game and decided to give Truly a run for her money, literally. Trouble is she doesn't feel the need to wait for the ball to have time to "hide". She just takes off like a bat out of a place that a bat would never be. If she is on the couch, you will get a chance to see her impression of the dark knight leaping off of that really tall building from the new batman movie. She throws herself forward (not down), unfurls her front legs like she has been taking lessons from her friend, the flying squirrel, and yes... there is hang time. It is hysterical. every time.

Yesterday, David and I were sitting at the table taking in a little game of Skipbo, when the baby came calming trotting into the kitchen carrying the tennis ball. Now this in and of itself is a bit comical, considering that the ball is approximately the size of her head. It would be kind of like me carrying a honey dew melon out of kroger... with my teeth. But, what got us tickled was that she carried the ball right into my pantry room, through the gate which was closed for some reason (she is still small enough to get thru the slats). Truly was fast on her heals, of course, as she trotted into the kitchen; but was stopped dead in her tracks by that gate. Baby put the ball down well within sight, and then sauntered smugly back through the gate as if to say, "get it now, sista:)"

You haven't lived until you've laughed til you cry... at a DOG.

3 comments:

rthling said...

That baby...
She is hi-lar-i-ous!
And we have our own version of it here.
Time to stock up on adult diapers.
Wonder if the have my size...

My Goodness said...

Very funny! Three sweet doggies...they should be entertaining for you since you do everything for them...it's only fair, right?

rthling said...

Check out the swell stuff I said about you on my blog, and pick up your award. But I'm warning you. It's heavier than it looks.