Friday, August 29, 2008

Labels of life

Warning: today was a yucky day. If you are expecting a cute, funny, piece of fluff to read before bed then find another blog, cause I am feeling every ounce of my God given melancholic temperament tonight. And please don't tell me that understanding my own temperament is the same thing as making excuses for it, because I have already heard that one today. GOD made me a melancholic. GOD made me a first born. GOD gave me to the parents that provided the environment into which the raw materials of that temperament were molded into the person that I am today. If you don't like it, then TAKE IT UP WITH HIM.

Once upon a time, there was a little girl. She was a timid little thing with a cute pug nose and freckles. She lived in a little house with her mommy and daddy and baby sister. For some reason that escapes her, she felt responsible for her baby sister from the day her parents brought her home from the hospital. No one told her that this was her solemn duty, but she felt this grown up burden, nonetheless.

One day, her mommy told her that she did not like her. She can't really remember why mommy said that that day, because she was too hurt to pay attention to the reason. That was the first time that she understood that there would be many labels that she would collect in her lifetime. Her first label was "unlikeable". She will spend a lifetime trying to put off that label, but somehow cannot escape it. Over the years, she acquired many labels; some placed on her with much flair and volume, some inferred with hints and innuendo, some placed on her back when she wasn't looking.

When she met Jesus, He taught her how to give the labels to Him so that He could dispose of them properly. She tries to do that daily, but sometimes it is so hard when they are falling like rain. She doesn't understand why these don't hurt others like they do her. But they do. Jesus gave her a label of her own. Her own desire. It says "personal integrity". She will wear it for Him... proudly and without apology.

Some days living with a clear conscience before God is not an easy thing to do. Sometimes it is not the popular choice. Sometimes it makes you look like you think more highly of yourself than you should, but it is always right.

4 comments:

My Goodness said...

I have a label for you...FRIEND!

I'm sorry you've had a rotten day...I wish I had some sort of band-aid that would help.

I hope that maybe you can get a good night's rest and have a 'new' day tomorrow.

rthling said...

Here's a few more: Honorable, trustworthy, strong minded, true, faithful, deep, FUNNY, loveable.
I love you endlessly.

Joanna said...

Oh Chris!! I feel ya!

What can I say other than that sucks dirt! So sorry. I know I joke about the whole adoption thing but guess what? It's true - we've been adopted by God. "Even if my father and my mother forsake me, You, Lord will receive me." Ps27:10

Sounds like we're in the same boat. Purpose in your heart what you can give. If you can't give anymore time then no worries. No condemnation in Christ Jesus. I had to read the Boundary book to help me see what was going on.

Don't blame you for not going back. Run, Forest, run! I'm right behind you (slowly slogging). There is only so much friction these thighs can handle!

Hang in there! :)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, how this post touched my heart. I actually wrote a small column about this once, which you can read here: http://2nd-cup-of-coffee.blogspot.com/2006/04/labels.html. I hope you can read it. I'm really enjoying your blog, aside from your heartache here. But God is so good.