Tuesday, July 29, 2008

tenth grade blues

I feel that this is the year of change. I realize that we are approaching the first of August, but from childhood our biological year starts when school begins. The IRS says that the year begins on the first of January, but I beg to differ.

Bethany starts 10th grade this "year"...assuming we work our tails off until Labor Day. We experienced a great shift in the space time continuum when Brian was in the tenth grade, too. What is it about that year?

We are waiting with baited breath to find out if the new campus of veritas is a go. If they have enough registered, then poof, planning is done for the year. I will just need to buy the curriculum and uniforms and brace myself for an entirely new approach to her education... no biggie. We will find out on Friday. Veritas Classical Schools will mean that I am still technically home schooling, but she will be going to classes a couple of days a week and completing her lesson plans at home. I am stressed out because every other home school family in America has already bought their curriculum for this year. Have I mentioned how much I hate being off schedule? If Veritas does not have enough support for the high school age or the classes she needs then we are back to square one. It's kind late in the game to be at square one... no pressure.

I have several versions of plan B. I am just not sure which one is the right one. Since I tend to like my plans to extend out five years or so, this is really stressing me out. All of these plans include my going back to work since the pool chemicals are sending us to the poor house (just kidding:), but it does seem to be that time in my life when the whole mom thing is kinda winding down. I need a backup plan for my life. It would be nice if it paid... Hubby and I would like a vacation sometime before we die. I should start saving. And don't even get me started on the bills stacking up. Being a stay at home mom for this many years and home schooling thru high school means many sacrifices, including holding off saving for retirement until you are in your forties...at least for us. We better get started on that, too. Ya think.

For now, I am holding on for Friday and trying to keep my sanity and the bill collectors under control. I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

My Goodness said...

Ick...sorry you have the blues. It's all of those unknowns.

My neighbor should know something about the school thing...as far as I know, if that is a go, she will be the one running it. If it wasn't so blasted hot outside, I'd say maybe I'll catch her in the yard and drill her for answers...but we're all being hermits right now.

If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

Kellan said...

It's hard to believe that August is already going to be here and school will be starting in a couple of weeks - UGH!

Have a good evening - Kellan

Joanna said...

I hear you on the homeschool blues. When I look at what all needs to happen I want to go sit in a corner and suck my thumb!

Savings?? What's that?? We were suppose to save what - lint? Sigh