Monday, July 7, 2008

Quirky stuff

Okay, so a friend of mine sent out the challenge to blog about our "quirky" behavior. Since my family thinks that I am borderline OCD I am pretty sure that I qualify...see the entry about perfectionism:)

I had a very difficult pregnancy followed by the loss of my son almost nine years ago. Somehow my life is divided by this event. Everything is, "before Daniel" or "after Daniel". After Daniel, I began fighting an exhausting battle with my health. That pregnancy seemed to take the life right out of me. I have been tested for lupus more times than I can count, but my blood makes a liar out of me every time:) Whenever I have a flair they draw again, but alas, no diagnosis. I take the medicine for lupus, but have no hard evidence to back it up... just a list of symptoms that grows as the years go by.

What does this have to do with the price of eggs in China, you ask?? Well, because before Daniel, I was VERY quirky. Weird even. These days, I am mostly just in survival mode. I try to get as much done as possible before my non diagnosable disease catches me.

I used to have a very definite pattern when cleaning my house. Kind of like the claritin clear commercials where the actor looks fine and then a perfect line crosses the screen and you realize that everything was foggy, but it's clear now. I would start in the back bedroom and deep clean everything as I made my way to the front door. I did this on purpose because otherwise I would be tempted to quit before the job was complete. It was sort of like blackmailing myself, only not illegal. These days I tend to start at the front door and work my way back because it is highly unlikely that I will get the job done...

I also have a thing for 2's. When I go shopping I tend to buy two (or twice as much) of most of the things on my list. My theory is that if the item made it to my list, I must need to use it. Therefore, I buy one to use and one for my pantry shelf. Makes the groceries cost twice as much, but I go half as often. These days with the cost of groceries I have sort of fallen out of that habit, although last night when I needed cream of mushroom soup and had to send Brian to Kroger, I made him pick up six cans (multiples of two count). He was somewhat mortified to go to Kroger and just buy six cans of cream of mushroom soup, but whatever.

3 comments:

My Goodness said...

I also used to clean my house a certain way. I started in the back bathroom, b/c the house is sort of horseshoe-shaped from there...I made my way around. I can NOT seem to do that anymore!! I have tried and failed.

Funny about the shopping. Stop torturing Brian! You mean lady!! (it's not like you sent him for Tampax!! hahahaha)

rthling said...

Soooo, are you saying you're not weird now?
I'm just wonderin'.
And the two thing, it rubs off, thank you very much. Shawn makes fun of me because of it.

Joanna said...

Could it be MS? Friend of mine has something that effects her nerve ending that turns her into a limp noodle. I can't even say it let alone spell it.

Quirky is the cute side of weird. Come to the dark side - we have cookies. :)