Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Part time parenting...

Baby down for his morning catnap and 2 year old eating cheerios out of a baggy and watching Winnie the Pooh. Whew! I do a little child care on the side to tide me over until the grandchildren. It really is kind of nice doing a little part time parenting. I get the best part of the day and just about the time they are driving me nuts, they go home to their momma and I get in the pool!! How great is that... AND I get weekends off and even a little $$$ to suppliment the gas budget. Hot dog!! The problem is that I don't have the "stuff" I had when mine were this age. I remember having two little ones at the same time, and full time at that. But I don't remember them taking this much out of me. I must be getting old.

For instance, I forgot that children have the ability to dislocate their joints at will. I went to pick up the two year old yesterday when he didn't want to be picked up and suddenly he had no shoulders. My hands went from his arm pits (kid handles) directly up his arms. HOW DOES HE DO THAT?? And when I want to put him down when he doesn't want down, he suddenly has no feet... Don't even get me started on how they can avoid a wash cloth after eating!

Mostly, it's just nice to have tickle fights and teddy grahams around the house again. But, I have to be extra vigilant because I wouldn't want to break someone else's child. If you break your own, you don't really have to explain to anyone... unless you have to take them to the emergency room. If you have to go to the ER with say, a broken arm, you better bring along a character witness and be prepared to submit to a lie detector test. And you better hope that you have been very nice to the kid that day, so that he doesn't throw you under to bus when everyone tenderly asks him what happened. Might want to consider stopping for ice cream on the way to the hospital. And be sure not to answer too quickly on his behalf of the nature of his injury or you will get the evil eye while you are being judged for your parenting skills. No pressure!

Have fun with your little ones today, and try not to break them:)

2 comments:

rthling said...

Wouldn't it be nice if watching our own earned us a little extra $$$? Weekends off would be nice, too...

My Goodness said...

I'm glad you're having fun with it!! And bonus about having a pool to relax in at the end of the day!!