Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Men and boys...

Asked my son to "clean" the kitchen yesterday. Not sure what I was thinking would happen. Before it was over I was having to threaten to withhold my car from him for the night to get it done. That is pretty much the last thing I have to hold over him. Once he gets his own wheels, it's all over. Today I have spent a good deal of the morning putting away the things that he put out of sight. Found a cup full of grease that needed disposed of under the sink. Found the Windex wipes in the basket of pasta on the pantry shelf. (the closet they belong in is several steps closer)...And for some reason he thinks that if you shove everything up against the wall on the counter that that counts for putting it "away". As if that can of tomato sauce that I didn't use last night now belongs on the counter awaiting its next opportunity to be used. I have even been known to find dirty dishes that were too big for the dishwasher outside in the backyard in an effort to avoid the inevitable. I suppose that it would have been easier to just clean the kitchen myself, but I am pretty sure that that is what he is after and I hate losing battle of wits with my kids.

Honestly, I have spent the last ten years or so trying to train this out of him with no luck. I have come to the conclusion that this is a chromosomal abnormality known only to men. I should have known better than to try to buck genetics. His father has successfully convinced me that he cannot be trusted with a paint brush. Once when we were trying to sell our house and were doing the little touch ups, I found myself painting all alone and even refusing his help. At one point, I was sitting on the front porch painstakingly painting every detail of the railing while he sat on the bench chatting with me... A man drove by honking his horn and giving my husband the thumbs up. I think that it is a conspiracy.

Remember that part of Bill Cosby's bit about his wife sending him to his room WHICH WAS WHERE HE WANTED TO BE ANYWAY!! I wish someone would send me to my room. I need a nap:)

1 comment:

rthling said...

Yet more proof that Shawn is weird. Thanks...
Heehee.